Saturday, May 21, 2011

Velma Von Tussle



felt applique and embroidery on Ultrasuede (6” hoop)

“Debbie Harry Exploding Hair”  This is what you should type into YouTube if you want to see the inspiration behind this hoop.  Do NOT type in “hairspray bomb”.  That’s something else.  So US government if you see any suspicious bomb related searches going on from my computer I assure you it was purely accidental.  I heard John Waters on NPR a few days ago and realized he was conspicuously absent from my hoop wall.  I decided to start at the PG end of the spectrum (I plan on doing a few more JW pieces).  I was also really wanting to do something that was a little bit interactive since embroidery is already so texturally interesting.  Or am I the only one who’s immediately drawn to touching embroidery?  I had to play around with the felt a little bit to get the flap right.  I ended up doubling it up because a single piece wasn’t strong enough (It kept getting all wonky and frayed)  That also solved the problem of the stitching on the back not looking so pretty.
Now I must wait for my flexi hoops to get here so I can start my next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment